Before going into the details about the animated series The Flintstones, let me tell you that this series started the trend of animated series in America and the rest is history. This American piece of animation was premiered on 30th September, 1960 and it lasted for six seasons. This series was a mixture of Stone Age and modern living style of a man named Fred Flintstone, his family and friends.
The whole story revolved around the primitive cum modern man Fred Flintstone, his wife Wilma Flintstone, his daughter Pebbles Flintstone, Dino ( a dinosaur who helped Fred in most of his handmade machinery work), Baby Puss (Fred’s pet) and Fred’s neighbour and his best friends Barney Rubble and his family. The family bonding in the series attracted a larger audience.
- Do you know that this animation was inspired by the famous series The Honeymooners, in which the characters of the protagonists Jackie Gleason and Art Carney resembles with Fred and his friend Rubble respectively?
- Initially, it was The Flangstones then it became The Gladstones and finally, the series premiered with the name “The Flintstones “.
- In the first two seasons, “Rise and Shine” song played both in the opening and closing credits. “Meet The Flintstones” theme song was played from the third season and is still remembered as its signature song.
- This series showed the issue of infertility for the first time ever on an animation platform. Betty Rubble was unable to conceive and then the Rubbles adopted a baby boy.
- Though this animated series portrayed the primitive living style of the Fred’s and his closed ones, modern machines like dishwasher, cars and other modern equipments were shown with a mix of prehistoric touch.
- Ending on1st April 1966 after six seasons, this animated series was considered to be the biggest commercial success for thirty years (till 1989).
First animated series created by William Hanna and Joseph Barbera, The Flintstones was a huge hit of the 1960s and was made into an animation film with the same title in 1994. Before the film, this series was also made into a 2D animation video game in 1993. Despite the old animation techniques, this series had set an example for other animators. Now, creating animation has become a lot easier than it used to be after the advent of advanced animation tools. You can also learn animation by choosing various animation courses provided by Hi-Tech Animation in Kolkata.